Program Highlight: Be an Au Pair with Wanderlust Exchange
Ever considered living abroad in China? Well this au pair program offered by our friends at Wanderlust Exchange might be just what you’ve been looking for! Keep reading to find out how you can work, study, and travel in China for 3 to 6 months on this exciting program.
Try our Free 2-Day TEFL Today!
TEFLPros is doing something new – we are bringing our favorite partners and programs to you here on the blog! These “Program Highlight” posts will share in-depth information with you on some of the most well-reviewed and well-run travel programs out there. And to kick things off we are bringing you a look at Wanderlust Exchange. We hope you enjoy!
Au Pair in China
Wanderlust Exchange’s Au Pair in China Program provides students and young professionals with opportunities that integrate travel, education, Mandarin language learning, childcare, and English tutoring. This program is a great opportunity for overseas young adults to experience China and the Chinese culture by staying with a host family as well.
Why Au Pair in China?
By offering 30 hours of live-in childcare and English teaching per week, you have an opportunity to explore Chinese culture through weekly Mandarin classes, culture immersion activities held by Wanderlust and your day-to-day colourful life with your host family.
- Experience authentic Chinese culture through living with a host family!
- Explore the major cities of China and learn Mandarin with fees covered by host family!
- Teach host children English and find your second home in China!
- Join our inspiring culture activities and make international friends!
- Flight stipend up to 1800 USD
- Most importantly! It’s all FREE!
Au Pair Highlights
- English Tutoring & Childcare
- Cultural Exchange
- Experiential Education
- Mandarin Learning
- Traveling & Volunteering
What is our Au Pair in China Program?
To meet participants’ preferences in authentic Chinese local culture, apart from our primary location-Shanghai, we also offer host family in various cities, including Beijing, Chongqing, Hangzhou, Nanjing, Suzhou and Ningbo.
Duration of Au pair program varies from 3 to 6 months.
Responsibilities of Au Pairs
- English Tutoring
- Take care of the host kid & engage in family activities
- Share some light house work (usually not required by host families)
What you can get?
- 1,500 RMB monthly allowance
- International medical insurance
- Visa application & renewal fee reimbursement (provided upon Au Pair’s completion of the program)
- Flight stipend from 3,000 to 12,000 RMB (dependent on the length of stay, 3 – 12 month program)
Other activities for participants
- Mandarin class 3 hours per week (12 hours/month) for participants free to take
- Monthly cultural activities, presenting traditional Chinese culture ranging from Chinese Martial Art and Peking Opera to traditional Chinese dishes cooking
- Orientation-city tour
Individuals are welcome to apply for our program, if you:
- are 18-28 years old.
- have completed secondary school (high school).
- are a native speaker or proficient in English.
- have no criminal record.
- are open to cultural differences and exploration.
- have the ability to teach English.
In terms of fees, there is NO application fees but applicants will need to pay a $100 USD program down payment, which is only required once applicant is approved for the program (matched with a host family) and will be completely returned to Au Pairs upon completion of the program.
About our host families
There is at least one family member who can speak reasonable English.
Responsibilities of our host family
- Include their au pair in most family meals, outings, and celebrations.
- Provide a private room.
- Provide regular meals.
- Pay their au pair a monthly stipend of at least 1500 RMB.
- Pay for their au pair’s Mandarin Classes (3 hours/week).
- Pay for their au pair’s visa application & renewal fee.
- Pay for their au pair’s air travel stipend fee.
- Pay for their au pair’s medical/accident insurance.
- Pay for their au pair’s orientation upon her/his arrival to China.
- Guarantee that their au pair will work no more than 30 hours/week and no more than 7 hours/day.
- Guarantee their au pair will not do heavy housework or tasks unrelated to the host family’s children.
Families are also required to give their au pair 1.5 days off /week, give au pair 3 days off as paid holiday if an au pair stays for a 3-months stay, 4 days for 4-month stay and so on.
How to start?
Here are instructions helping start off your cultural journey in China.
- Complete application and submit supporting documents.
- Skype interview with Wanderlust Exchange program manager.
- Skype interview with prospective host family.
- Receive confirmation of host family match and complete Chinese visa application.
- Obtain Chinese visa and book air travel to China.
- Arrive in China!
For more information about our Au pair program, please visit us here
Get Started on your TEFL Journey with TEFLPros